Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Welcome to the Kingdom!




We have started a new adventure in Saudi! During this adventure I hope that you will follow my post and I will do my best to update you on my cultural experiences.



Saudi Facts:

Often referred to as the Kingdom, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia or "KSA", or Saudi.
Considered the largest Arab state (approximately 870,000 sq mi)


  • Government: Monarchy
    • King: Abdullah bin Abdul Aziz
  • Founded: September 23, 1932
  • Capital City: Riyadh 
  • Language: Arabic
  • Religion: Islam
    • The Kingdom is home to 2 of Islam Holy Lands
      • Mecca 
      • Medina  
  • Currency: Saudi riyal "SAR" 
    • Current Currency Conversion: 
      • $1 US Dollar = 3.75 SAR or 
      • 1 SAR = $0.27 US
  • Estimated Population Breakdown:
    • Saudis: 16 Million
    • Registered Expats: 9 Million
    •  Illegals: 2 Million
  • Major Export: Oil

Most common questions asked since I arrived:
  • Do I have to cover?
    • Yes.  When I am not on our compound I do have to cover myself by wearing an Abaya (I'll explain the abaya in another post).  I also carry a Hijab or scarf to cover my head in the event I run into the Mutaween (Saudi's Religious Police.)  If I'm on a walk on the compound I do dress modestly, the reason being  I have found that even in a pair of capris and crew neck t-shirt attracts A LOT of attention, as if I'm a supermodel walking down the beach in a thong kinda looks.
  • What kind of food do you eat?
    • For the most part I can find many of the comforts of home here.  Fruits, veggies, mayo and mustard, it is no different here.  Now, thats not saying I can find my favorite brand, but I can find what I need. There are two things however, that you will NOT find: Pork and Alcohol.  Both are banned in the Kingdom and are illegal. 
    • Another point along the lines of food are the restaurants, they have American chains here. Pizza Hut, Little Caesars, Taco Bell, KFC, Firehouse Subs, Chilli's, Outback, Applebees, Starbucks, Subway, Dunkin Doughnuts, Krispy Kreme, Baskin Robbins and TGI-Fridays are all here. 
  • Can I drive?
    • No.  Women are not allowed to drive in the Kingdom, it is illegal.  There has been a big movement to get them to change this law, but me personally I'm glad I can't.  
  •  What is the work week like?
    • The work week is really no different than in America except, the work week is Sunday-Thursday.  Friday is the Islamic Holy day and everything is shut down until after 2 or 3 in the afternoon. There are exceptions and that is during Ramadan. 
  • What is your house like?
    • Our house is really no different than an American home.  We do not need converters for our appliances etc because our house is 110v. We have a nice patio and American appliances.  We even have a nice park near by to go to. 
  • Do you drink the water?
    • No.  While the water here is safe to shower, brush your teeth and wash dishes with, it still not OK to drink.  We have water delivered when we need it.
  • Where are your dogs?
    • Our Guard dogs are here with us. 
  • Is it safe there?
    • Yes.  The overall crime rate in Riyadh is lower than DC.  Saudi is a little different than America in that they do not put up with crime.  Lets just say Chop Chop square is alive and well here in the Kingdom and people do lose heads and limbs there. 
    • There has not been a terrorist attack inside the Kingdom since 2003 I believe. Whereas, America's last one was March 2013.
  • Are the people nice?
    • Most of the locals are extremely nice to my little guy but not really to me.  But remember Islam is the religion here.  Men are not suppose to have contact with women who are not part of their family units. 
    • The "expats" or other Americans, Canadians and Brits that we have met are extremely friendly.
  • Is it hot?
    • Believe it or not, it is actually nice out right now.  Its between 80 and 100 here during the day and 70s at night.  This is also a dry heat, so its not nearly as hot as a Florida day.  I have been told that the Summers here are brutal, 115 dry or not it pretty dang hot. 

Common Phrases I've Learned:

  1. Insha'Allah or إن شاء الل means God Willing
  2. Marhaba or مرحبا means Hello
  3. Shukran or شكراً means Thank You
  4. Ma'a salama  or مع السلام means “Good-bye”, but has a literal meaning of "Peace be with you." 
  5. As-Salaam-Alaikum or السلام عليكم means Peace be unto you. One would typically respond with Ma'a salama. 


  




1 comment:

Charles Q said...

Great reading here! You satisfied a lot of curiosities. Glad you all are settling in to your new home. Keep on posting. We like the connection.