Saturday, December 14, 2013

The Abaya

Abaya and Hijab head scarf

One of the first questions people asked me when I said I was moving to Saudi was, "Do you have to wear a burqa?;" or the not-so-politically correct version "Do you have to wear the Ninja outfit?".  So, imagine the confusion when I replied that I indeed have to wear an Abaya.  But what is an Abaya? What is the difference between a burqa and an Abaya? Well here is your answer. 

A traditional Abaya is a black sheet like covering that is worn over one's clothing.  It covers from the neck down to the wrists and ankles.  While it is made in all different shapes and colors, Saudi requires it to be black.  That's not saying that it has to be plain; most Abayas can be bedazzled or have colorful lace trim, if one desires. The point behind the Abaya (and burqa) is to conceal a woman.  It is to prevent impure thoughts, and conceal oneself from anyone but her husband.   This is supported by the Muslims belief and the words of the Quran 33:59 "O Prophet, tell your wives and daughters, and the believing women, to cover themselves with a loose garment. They will thus be recognized and no harm will come to them".

Women would accompany the Abaya with a Hijab, which is a scarf that covers the head; and/or a Niqab which covers the face.



The burqa, well, I think the photo is pretty self explanatory. It covers-everything, no skin, no eyes nodda-nothing.

I have to admit, when I first found out we were headed to Saudi I was not happy.  Who wants to wear a black robe on top of your normal everyday wear; especially in the desert heat!?  Not to mention, they are plain, drab and just not very stylish at all-at the time that was my knowledge.  Since arriving though, my opinion has been altered a little.  I figured out that they could be bedazzled and stylish.  I even found some designer ones out of Europe, and ordered one before I left the states.  I'm sure glad I found those.  Most of the Abayas I have found here are all polyester....again, who the heck wants to wear a black polyester sheet!?  I digress; but, the designer ones are cotton.  GO me! I should get a discount considering all the new customers they have from the other diplomats now ordering, but oh well. Now when I know I'm going out, I don't have to get so dressed up.  Prime example: if we went to the mall in the states, I'd make sure I was dressed cute and head out.  Here?  HA!  I fix my makeup and hair, I can throw some yoga pants and a tank, and head out.  Forget ironing that shirt I forgot to take out of the drier, or my cute jeans....the abaya is the great equalizer.  Things change when I know I'm going to the mall on the "ladies only" floor; but, I'll get into that in another post.  For now, I'm learning to love my abaya and hijab.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Interesting! Customs of countries are so different! Thanks